What should I do if a dog bites me?
May 21st though May 27th is Dog Bite Prevention Week, and while prevention is the main goal, it’s not always achievable. So …. what should you do if you’re bit by a dog? Well, not all bites are created equal, but you can start with the following protocol:
- Make sure that you (or someone you know) can help obtain information about the dog and the owner. Exchange numbers and emails. Take pictures!
- Do you know if the dog is up to date on all vaccinations, including rabies?
- Stop the bleeding where necessary – place a clean cloth or jacket (if it’s all you have) over the injury
- Clean with soap and water and apply a bandage + antibiotic ointment
- If bleeding will not stop, or if stitches are required, or if you aren’t sure, go to the Emergency Room.
For more detailed information about dog bites and how to treat them, visit this informative link.