For many New Yorkers, St. Patrick’s Day is the official kick off of the Spring season. It is a day of celebrations, Irish heritage parades, and lots of GREEN treats. We found a “green” dog treat recipe that skips the artificial food coloring and uses healthy ingredients, thanks to Minnie In Manhattan!
Mint, parsley and coconut oil are ingredients used that can help Fido with his doggy breath, digestion, sensitive tummy, and will also add shine to his coat.
Let’s get started!
- 3 1/2 cups organic brown rice flower
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil (warmed to liquid)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the brown rice flour into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
1.Using a food processor, combine the mint, parsley, coconut oil (make sure it’s warm and liquid), and 1/4 cup of the chicken broth until you have a smooth green juice. Add this green juice mixture to the flour and mix in well.
2. Beat the egg and add it to the flour mixture and mix that in as well. Knead and mix the dough mixture while slowly adding the remainder of the chicken broth (if your dough is super dry you may want to add a bit more chicken broth/water) until you have a thick, dry dough.
3. Place your dough on a large flat surface (you can flour the surface with a little of the brown rice flour to prevent sticking) and roll it out until it”s about 1/3 of an inch thick. Using 4 leaf clover cookie cutters, cut out your cookies and place them on a cookie sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes for semi-crunchy treats and 20 minutes for extra crunchy treats, based on what Fido’s treat texture preferences are 🙂