During National Canned Food Month, the Can Manufacturers Institute (CMI) and Food For All are encouraging recyclers nationwide to donate their recycling proceeds to feed the hungry. Schools, work places, and many other facilities are donating canned food to help out.
You can contribute by setting a couple of soup cans aside for your local food bank. Or, we have provided a great recipe for you to make your very own dog soup below. Your dog can show his support for National Canned Food Month by donating this homemade soup!
Steamy Chicken and Quinoa Soup is a great healthy soup for your dog to have throughout the chilly season. The ingredients and instructions are as follows:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 small cooked skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 10 baby carrots or 2-3 regular sized carrots, chopped
- 1 ½ cups cooked quinoa
- 4 packets Ice Pups
- 32 oz. filtered water
- Couple of tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat pan to medium high and add coconut oil.
- Add chopped carrots and sauté for about 4 minutes until they get soft.
- About 2 minutes in, add the chopped zucchini and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- In a medium size stock pot, add the water and bring to a low boil.
- Once boiling, add the packets of Ice Pups and stir.
- Add carrots and zucchini to broth and turn heat down to a simmer.
- Shred the chicken breast and add to broth along with the quinoa.
- Stir and turn off heat so soup cools to room temperature.
- Garnish with parsley (optional) and serve to your dogs to warm them up!
If you want to can/preserve your soup, here is a great “how to video.”
For more information on this soup recipe and other delicious recipes from dogtipper.com please visit: