Really want to get far outta town? Check out these five pet friendly cities across the US! From dog friendly beaches to the best doggy shopping on the West Coast, there are so many great things to do across the country with your fur babies this summer!
This city has a whopping 33 dog parks — the most per capita of any large city in the United States! According to Portlanders.com, Portland is one of the few cities outside of France where you can take your dog into pubs. City government is considering a $150 fine for people who don’t scoop their dog’s waste. That’s more than the cost of renting a portable toilet for a month!
San Diego, CA
An abundance of dog-friendly beaches and restaurants makes this a great place to visit for pet people.
- The city is the dog surfing capital of the world and even hosts an annual dog surfing competition called Surf Dog Surf-A-Thon.
- San Diego is moving to ban the sale of pets bred in commercial breeding facilities (article).
Seattle’s dog population has surpassed the number of children living in the city – that says a lot!
- Locally-based REI sells over 150 dog-related outdoor adventure products online.
- Seattle Dog Spot’s calendar lists a variety of events each week for dog lovers.
- The Emerald City is home to Rover.com, an online dog boarding site that connects dog owners with dog lovers willing to open their homes for a fee.
- There are 32 different Meetup groups for dog lovers, as well as dog-friendly businesses like BARK! espresso, Norm’sEatery & Ale House, Rex and Scraps Dog Bakery.
Dogs are allowed to ride the subway during off-peak hours. Cool!
- Labrador Retrievers are the most popular breed of dog in Boston. The other top dog breeds can be found here.
- According to this Block Avenue article, Boston neighborhoods with high numbers of pet dogs can be a sign of high home ownership.
- There’s no shortage of websites and blogs dedicated to Boston’s dogs. Check out Fido Loves—a great online source of information for all things dog-related in Boston, and they provide insight into dog-friendly neighborhoods and apartment buildings.
- Boston is one of Rover.com‘s Top 20 Cities
- National Media: This article is proof you don’t have to use the word “wicked” when writing about Boston. 🙂
Shop for your furry friend in dozens of boutique offering upscale grooming, designer dog apparel, and fashionable collars and leashes.
- Dogs are mocked less by people in Miami because it’s actually illegal to imitate an animal there.
- Check out Miami’s Top Ten Dog-Friendly Restaurants