Hands full and need a little assistance in opening and closing your doors? Why not ask your furry pal to help? Here is a step by step guide on how to teach your dog to open and close doors (full step by step guide can be found at: http://www.doggiebuddy.com/topics/tricks/door.html):
Teach your dog “Tug” first. Steps can be found at: http://www.doggiebuddy.com/topics/tricks/tug.html
Opening a door:
- Tie a cloth or bandana around your door and tell your dog to tug it. When he tugs the door open, click and treat.
- Keep doing this – eventually adding the word “open” when he tugs the door open. Click and treat each time.
Closing the door:
- Put a touch stick on the door (used to target the location you want your dog to touch)
- Each time your dog touches the door and moves it a little. Click and treat.
- Keep doing this until he/she has pushed the door close and reward him with a treat.
- Repeat until he/she closes the door each time. Reward generously when your dog successfully closes the door.
- Start adding the word “close” when your dog closes the door. After doing this multiple times your dog should be able to close the door at your command.