While you’re munching away on wings and chips during the Superbowl, why not make some delicious snacks for your pooch to feast on as well! Here is an easy and delicious recipe to make football colored cookies for your dog!
For a link to the recipe check out: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/PEANUT-BUTTER-BANANA-AND-BACON-DOG-TREATS-52477381
Note: This recipe makes approximate 25 treats.
1 large egg
1/3 cup natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon PLUS 1 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1/4 cup crisp cooked bacon. (Chopped finely, about 3 strips – optional)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1. Mash the bananas until they are smooth. Add the egg and peanut butter – stirring until well mixed.
2. Stir in 1 tablespoon of honey, add the flax seeds, bacon and rolled oats.
3. Add the flour and stir until blended (dough will be very thick).
4. Tightly wrap the dough in plastic wrap and leave to chill in the fridge for about 1 hour.
5. After 1 hour, remove the dough from the fridge and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. Place 1 rack in the upper third of the oven and the 2nd rack in the lower third.
7. Preheat the oven to 350º
8. Using a lightly floured surface and lightly floured rolling pin – roll out the dough to about 1/3 inch thickness.
9. Take a football cookie cutter, cut out as many biscuits and transfer biscuits to baking sheets, leaving about 1/2 inch between each treat.
10. In a small bowl, whisk the 1 teaspoon of honey with 1 tablespoon of water until the honey is dissolved. Brush the tops of the treats with this honey mixture using a pastry brush.
11. Bake the treats for about 2o minutes – switch them between the upper and lower racks halfway through baking. Bake until biscuits are golden brown.
12. Transfer to a wire rack to allow the biscuits to cool completely.