1 medium sweet potato (about 7 ounces), peeled and diced
1¾ cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the sweet potatoes in a small saucepan, cover with water and place over high heat and bring to a boil. Ensure that the potatoes can be easily pierced with a knife, then remove from heat, drain and allow to cool.
3. Puree the sweet potatoes in a food processor until completely smooth.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and flaxseed meal. Remove about 1 tablespoons of the egg to a separate cup.
5. Add the sweet potato puree and remaining beaten egg to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough forms.
6. Dump out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Shape pretzels by taking a small piece of dough, rolling it into a 10-inch rope, shape into a “U”, then twist the ends and fold them back over to create the pretzel shape.
7. Place the pretzels on the prepared baking sheet and brush with the remaining 1 tablespoon beaten egg. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool in a wire rack.
Note: If your dog has allergies, you could certainly adjust this recipe to make it suitable for them. You could replace the whole wheat flour with a rice or almond flour, and the egg with applesauce if need be.