Have some extra leftover turkey and cranberry sauce? Don’t let it go to waste and make some delicious Thanksgiving styled treats for your pooch!
HOMEMADE TURKEY AND SWEET POTATO MEATBALL DOG TREATS – YUM!
- 1 lb shredded or ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 cup of Quick Cook Oats
- 1 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon
- 2 tsp. of honey
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley
- Poke 4 of 5 holes in the sweet potato. Then place in a 400º preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until the potato is soft. (If you do not want to bake the potato, you can place it in the microwave for 8-10 minutes). Allow time for the sweet potato to cool.
- Pull the skin from the sweet potato and scoop the inside into a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350º
- Using either a blender, chopper or food processor, combine the egg and parsley until parsley is well chopped. Add this to the bowl with the sweet potato.
- Add turkey, oats, cinnamon and honey.
- Using your hands, mix the concoction until well mixed.
- Spray a large cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Roll the mixture into balls that are slightly smaller than the size of a golf ball.
- Place the turkey mixture into the 350º preheated oven and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow time to cool and place in an airtight container and refrigerate.
HOMEMADE LEFTOVER TURKEY DINNER DOG BISCUITS
- 1 cup cooked turkey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sweet potatoes
- 1/4 chopped dried cranberries
- 1 egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 325º
- Using a food processor, puree the water and cooked turkey.
- Add the cooked sweet potatoes and egg to the food processor and mix together.
- Scoop out the mixture into a large bowl.
- Add the chopped cranberries.
- Add the flour to the bowl and stir until you get a bread-like consistency.
- If you are using cooked cranberries, you may need to add some extra flour. Start with 1 tbsp at a time.
- Place dough on a well floured surface and roll to 1/4″ thickness. Dust with more flour if needed since the mixture can be sticky.
- Use shaped cookie cutters to cut out individual dog treats.
- Place biscuits on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake in the oven for approximately 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown.