How cute is this Pilgrim and Indian costume set?! Now you can make it yourself and dress up your pooch in the spirit of Thanksgiving. For a direct link to the website, see attached link: http://alanajonesmann.com/2012/11/diy-pilgrim-indian-dog-costumes/
What You Will Need:
- (3 sheets) 8.5″ x 11″ white or off-white paper
- Scrap piece of gold or brown paper
- Mini Hat
- Tape & Glue
- Scissors: Decorative and Straight Edge
- (2) Small Black Buttons
- (2) Pipe Cleaners
- (2 – 4) Feathers
1. For the hat: Cut a 1″ wide strip of paper so it is long enough to wrap around the mini hat. Wrap the 1″ wide strip around the hat, where the hat trim would typically be located. Secure the strip with tape, placed in the back of the hat to make less visible.
2. For the collar: Measure the circumference of your dog’s neck. Fold the 8.5″ x 11″ piece of paper in half. Then mark a half-circle for your pooch’s neck. Once you have the half-circle cut, try it on your pup to see if it fits. Make sure it’s not tight around the neck so your dog isn’t uncomfortable. Once you’ve found the right fit, cut the sides of the paper diagonally, using scissors (decorative or scalloped).
3. Use glue to secure two small black buttons to the center of the collar. Make sure to let the glue dry for a few hours before putting the collar on your pooch.
4. For the hat buckle: Cut out a rectangular buckle shape from your gold or brown paper. Make the edges of the outer rectangle slightly rounded to get a proper buckle look. Apply a small piece of tape on the back of the buckle, so that it stays attached to the hat.
5. Take a pipe cleaner and twist it around the feathers, one at a time. Make sure to remove any sharp edges on the feathers. Also make sure to leave 1 – 2″ of pipe cleaner at the end (this will connect to your second pipe cleaner).
6. Twist the second pipe cleaner onto the first one fit it on your dog’s head. Join the two pipe cleaners together by twisting the two open ends together. Make sure your pooch is comfortable and do not tie too tight.