October is the American Humane Association and the ASPCA’s Adopt-a-Dog Month! What does this mean? During the month of October, these organizations, as well as other numerous shelters dedicate their time and energy to raising awareness of the benefits of adoption a shelter dog. By adopting a shelter dog, you are saving the life of your furry friend as well as giving him or her a new furever home!
Even if you cannot adopt, there are countless other ways that you can help! Here are just a few ways to help:
1. Volunteer at your local animal shelter.
2. If you don’t want to commit to having a pet for an indefinite time – sign up to be a foster parent!
3. Donate, donate, donate!
4. Get the message out that October is National Adopt-a-Dog Month by tweeting or posting Facebook statuses!
5. Share images of adoptable dogs on your blog, Facebook or twitter!
Here at Bark Baby Bark, we love rescue dogs! Our staff members have worked or volunteered for rescue organizations or animal shelters and we understand the importance of raising awareness of shelter animals.
Here are a list of a few local rescue organizations/animal shelters:
1. Foster Dogs NYC – based in Park Slope, Brookyln
2. Social Tees Animal Rescue – located at 325 E. 5th Street, New York, NY
3. ASPCA – located at 424 E. 92nd Street, New York, NY
4. Mayor’s Alliance for NYC’s Animals – located at 244 5th Avenue, Suite R290
5. Badass Brooklyn Animal Rescue – based in Brooklyn, NY
6. Animal Haven – located at 251 Centre Street, New York, NY
7. Bideawee – located at 410 E. 38th Street, New York, NY (Manhattan branch)
8. North Shore Animal League – 25 Davis Avenue, Port Washington, NY